Well, if you're asking about nuts and bolts of HOW to do it, I did
something similar making a script to convert from inline to standoff. I
just had a template that matched the <choice>, selected the preferred child
element (determined with a <choose> in the XSLT) and wrote it in that
place, then wrote the remaining element into standoff with the appropriate
target. I'm sure you could use something similar here, but using <note>
instead of moving it off to standoff.

If you are asking whether this is a standard practice... I got nothing.

Misha