Dear Andrew,

I recently came across the stylesheets of Lombard Press that allow you
to convert a TEI file into a print edition with footnotes via LaTeX:
http://lombardpress.org/seamlessly-converting-a-tei-critical-edition-to-camera-ready-print-proofs/
(See the video for a nice example.)

They might not do exactly what you need, but maybe they provide a
reasonable starting point.

Best,
Frederik

--