Hi Folks,

This is not, strictly speaking, a TEI question so much as a question about the conventions of critical editions, but I suspect folks here might have some relevant ideas/experience. If you have an apparatus where a <lem> or a <rdg> is empty, how does one represent it in, for instance, a print apparatus (if transforming, say, to LaTeX)? I'm trying to mark up all differences in a set of poems and often I find that one version has punctuation that another version simply lacks. For instance (this example is entirely invented):

Here the variant reading in B has nothing; in an apparatus how would one represent this? What is the convention? In a print edition (I've been using LaTeX and reledmac, for instance) would it look something like:

1 , ] *missing*

Thanks very much. Best,

Chris