Hi Chris,
What a great question! When I mark things like this, where something is present in one version but absent in another, I typically only include the tag where some addition is present, and I've found that I don't need to include empty elements for the other version(s). But that doesn't address the question of how to represent the presence of a comma or word in one version and its absence in the other(s). Visualizing in something like Juxta will give you side-by-side correlations of versions, but the designed-for-print output you describe, we'd probably want something like footnotes to indicate variations.

I'm not sure I understand your suggested output of
1 , ] *missing*
If I am following you, in your first example I think you are presenting version A (the lemma with the comma), and do this must be a footnote to line 1. I think what you have makes sense, but it'll only work when there is only one comma in the line. I'd be inclined to include the word preceding the punctuation mark as a rule, even when there's only one comma, just for human readability of the footnotes.

I'd be wary of using the word "missing" to describe the absence of the comma since it implies something like a gap in the reading that needs to be accounted for. I'd be more inclined, I think, to outputting the preceding and following words, with the identifier of the version (in case you're working with versions A, B, C, and D). So rather than "missing", I'd do something like this:

1  version B: now and

Would that work?

Best,
Elisa Beshero-Bondar