On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 08:43:57 -0600
Wm Annis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Finally, many words in a language are going to be related to other
> words through derivational processes of various sorts.

This can be interesting in the way that different languages operate.
In English, we have derivatives (read-er) and compounds (tea-pot).
Other languages can vary considerably. Chinese has masses of compounds
but hardly any derivatives, while I'm not sure if the Arabic and Eskimo
languages actually have any compounds, although they have many
derivatives. English, like most (all?) Indo-European languages, cannot
make a compound of two verbs, so we need a word like "bring" where
another language would have a compound like "take-come".