On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 1:05 PM, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Naturalist artlangers are likely to find interesting this paper:

And not only naturalists.

> It's half a ranty manifesto that will chime with many conlangers'
> prejudices, and half a study of evidentiality in a Tibeto-Burman language.

I've read the first half and much of the second.  I agree pretty
strongly with what he says about the Lingua Questionnaire and the
grammars that are formatted in accordance with it.  The order it
recommends doesn't make a bit of sense.  How do we know how to
prounounce the example  sentences if the phonology isn't explained
until last?

The other stuff van Driem says makes sense too, but other posters have
already commented on it eloquently enough.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/