On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 18:02:52 -0500, Mark J. Reed wrote:

>I think this is a nice layman's introduction to the English language's
>checkered past:
>
>https://aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages

I don’t like it. It seems to me he is also “merely following in a long tradition of sunny, muscular boasts”. Sure, English is more mixed than the standard average European languages. But claiming that it is “deeply peculiar _in the structural sense_” is only possible when you compare it to these standard average European languages. If you compare it to creole languages, the alleged peculiarity all but disappears.

And there are so many wrong claims scattered through the article. For instance, the Vikings have nothing to do with the “the lonely third‑person singular _–s_” – the second-person ending _-st_ continued to be used for another 500 years after the Vikings. Long words do not require “require superhuman feats of breath control”, etc. etc.

--
grüess
mach