I agree with David, it is obvious that it's directed at complete laymen --
perhaps even teenagers -- who can't be expected to know even traditional
grammar and it states what it is supposed to be an antidote to. Given those
preconditions it's rather well thought out. Perhaps he overdoes the idea
and style a bit, anxious to not come across as patronizing.

Actually English is somewhat unusual in being so poorly mutually
intelligible with its closest relatives. Basque and other isolates don't
have any close relatives which they could be or are known to have been
mutually intelligible with; English does. I'm tempted to guess that at
least in writing English is as closely interintelligible with French as
with Dutch and the Scandinavian languages, if not more.

Actually my main beef is that I think he understates the degree of mutual
intelligibility between Old English and Old Norse and blames OE/ON language
contacts for things which should be chalked down to loss of unstressed and
stressed vowel distinctions internal to OE itself. (After all people could
translate names like Óttarr > Ohthere, Ólafr > Ānlaf, Æþelstān >
Aðalsteinn, which means that at least linguistically gifted individuals
could grok the relatedness of the two languages. Others though mrely
transliterated Sveinn as Swegen /swejen/). It would have been pretty hard
to maintain gender distinctions when all inflectional differences were
lost. In Dutch and some Scandinavian dialects including standard Swedish
and Danish the grammatical distinction between masculine and feminine was
lost because of loss of inflectional distinctions. Nobody blames that on
language contact, although in the case of Swedish contact with Danish may
in fact be partially responsible, and the same seems to have hppened to
masc./neuter. in Romance. In fact I think m./f. wiuld have merged in French
if adjectives hadn't kept and even extended distinct f. forms in the
singular.

But would my very science-talented but linguistically uninterested
17-year-old bother to understand that? Certainly not! Would he understand
the message of McWhorter's essay? Certainly if the tone acrually is cheeky
enough to sustain his interest!