The NHAMCS Survey looks at ED use by age and hospital characteristics. I've
used the summary from 2006 as a reference before, which shows general
ED/PED characteristics for infants (12 mos. and under) and it's roughly 75%
seen in a general ED vs. those seen in a PED in a general hospital or PED
in a children's hospital.

It's Table 2 in the following (open access):
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr007.pdf

I'm sure there's data on peds visits overall, but maybe this is a start?

CM

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 7:47 PM, Eugene Izsak <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have always believed and repeated that 80% of US children seen in
> emergency departments are seen in general EDs as opposed to Peds EDs.
> Recently I was asked where this statistic came from.
> Any help.  Is this an old outdated statistic.  Is it referenced anywhere.
> Thanks
> Eugene Izsak
> Toledo Ohio
>
> --
> *"I would rather be the kind of person who makes molehills out of
> mountains, then mountains out of molehills." *
> *"I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road and not have
> their motives questioned." Anon.*
> *"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures
> the disease." Voltaire*
> *"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
> where I needed to be."  Douglas Adams*

> message: info PED-EM-L
> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

Chris Merritt, MD, MPH, FAAP