Brakes are the biggest safety issue, so just make sure they are both
reasonably ok before you get out of your driveway!  If both work at the
start of your ride, it's pretty unlikely neither will work by the end!

Visibility is the second biggest safety issue, as already mentioned.
Lights, reflectors, and bright clothing are valuable.

Legend on Brook St. is convenient, but they often require several days to
get to and do a repair or adjustment.  If you need a tube, or a pump,
though, it's right on the way!    They do quality work and generally know
their stuff, in my experience.

Enjoy the rides!  They are a real treat!

Cheers,

-David Laidlaw

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Shriram Krishnamurthi <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> In that case, just ride. The bike shop is clearly a mental block. If you
> ride and find it's creaky, you'll automatically be motivated to take it to
> a shop. If you find it's not creaky, well, you didn't need one. (-:
>
> Btw, if you work on the College Hill side of campus, Legend Bicycle on
> Brook is a good place to take your bike in. That way you may be able to
> have them check it out while you're at work. Avoids the “have to _get_ this
> _to_ the bike store” issue entirely.
>
> Shriram
>
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:03 PM McNeil, Karen <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Well that path certainly looks simple enough, Geoff — I think I'll give
>> it a try!
>>
>> I know I *should* have the bike looked over at a bike shop, but I think
>> "meaning" to do that and never quite getting around to it is why it's been
>> so long since I've ridden. So I think I should just do what I can myself
>> just to get over the inertia. I'll definitely be buying a headlight and
>> taillight before I go out, though (the days are too short!). And maybe an
>> air canister.
>>
>> I work 9am-5pm, so if anyone else is on a similar schedule (esp in the
>> morning) let me know. And thanks for all the good advice!
>>

>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> *Karen McNeil*
>> Program Director, Office of Student Veterans and Commissioning Programs
>> Brown University, J. Walter Wilson, Room 317
>> (401) 863-7682
>> *Hours: Tue-Fri, 9am-5pm*​
>> *Open Office Hours: Wed & Thur, 2pm-4pm — Stop in and see me!*
>>

>> * <https://www.facebook.com/brownSVCP>*
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Williams, Geoff <
>> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Karen,
>>>
>>> Welcome to the list.
>>>
>>> your questions:
>>> 1 - bike path on in is great, I like this route to get the rest of the
>>> way in: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11956544 has some of the lowest
>>> traffic interactions between the end of the bridge and main campus.
>>>
>>> 2 - If the tires hold air, just make sure the brakes work and if you're
>>> leaving for home after it gets dark have lights (I'd suggest using a bit of
>>> a thicker lube than WD-40 on the chain, but WD-40 is better than nothing if
>>> that is what you have). Also, If you want an unbiased assessment of the
>>> mechanical stuff I can do that for you (or anyone else on the list)
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Last point if you would like to have company for the ride in, myself or
>>> another one of us East Bay Commuters could ride in with you (timing is
>>> always the big factor, we all seem to be on slightly different schedules
> [...]

David Laidlaw, Professor, Brown Computer Science
Box 1910, Providence, RI 02912, CIT 521, +1-401-354-2819
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~dhl