On 10 January 2016 at 16:15, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> What makes something a language family? One of the texts I'm using
> didn't give a min number of languages for a family, just that the
> number varies.

Genetic relationships. If two languages are known to descend fro a
common ancestor, then they are part of the same family. If a language
has no known relatives (like Basque), it is a family of one.

> Does Webish, Silknish, and Yardish count as a language
> family? And if the Yardish borrows from those languages, does that
> still count as language contact?

I don't recall enough about your projects to say, but if they are
supposed to derive from a common proto-language, then yes.
Otherwise... no.
In either case, though, yes, borrowing does count as language contact
(or rather, is evidence of language contact).

-l.