On 12 January 2016 at 12:24, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> So if Yardish borrows from its proto-languages, does that have a term
> for that? I think someone on this list said it's not language contact.
> The Ethnologue site was interesting.

I did a little research, and there does not seem to be any generic
term for borrowings from a proto- or parent language. Apparently,
though, there are occasionally terms in specific languages for
re-borrowings of words from their own ancestor languages. So, there
may very well be a Yardish word for words that Yardish borrowed from
its own proto-language.
This sort of thing often occurs as a result of linguistic purism, in
which case one might call those words "purisms", but that is far from
the only motivation, so "purism" doesn't quite seem to work as a
generic cover term.

Whether or not that counts as "language contact" seems like a weird
fuzzy grey area to me....

-l.