If this is the symbol you mean (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra-short),
then it can indicate extra-short or, more frequently in texts I've seen, it
indicates a weak stress/no stress (for instance, in transcribing the meter
of poetry). Whatever exactly extra-short means will be dependent on the
language in question's phonological system & vowel space.

There is also a diacritic that looks similar to a breve (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_(linguistics)#Phonetic_notation) which
indicates a low-high contour tone.

Zach

portfolio <http://zwelldesigns.com/> · 身先朝露 - 画龙点睛 ·