If this is the symbol you mean (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra-short),
then it can indicate extra-short or, more frequently in texts I've seen, it
indicates a weak stress/no stress (for instance, in transcribing the meter
of poetry). Whatever exactly extra-short means will be dependent on the
language in question's phonological system & vowel space.

Ah, yes. That's it. I wonder why I couldn't find it before; it's on
the IPA page.

--
Sincerely,
         William S. Wright