Right, the most likely starting condition for agglutinating verbs onto
nouns would seem to be serialised verbs, and you don't tend to have too
heavy inflections on those.

Another point to consider is that newly agglutinated affixes are likely to
undergo phonological simplification, so any old and redundant inflections
they might carry themselves may just be thrown away. If you look
crosslinguistically at the phonological complexities of both lexical and
grammatical morphemes, the grammatical ones do look systematically simpler.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows of any studies on this, but to me
the generally simpler shapes of the grammatical morphemes seem unlikely to
be simply a result of regular semantically agnostic phonological processes.

A toy example of the development of a dative case suffix from the verb
"get" could look for example something like the following. Here I have as
the starting point a language that has SOV word order and expresses dative
arguments by subordinate clauses built on the verb "get" marked with a
dependent (converb) suffix -al.

Original sentence with the dative clause bracketed:
Na seke [dona kon-al] kan-an.
SG1 bone dog get-CV give-SG1

=> Agglutination of "get" onto "dog" + discarding of the old converb suffix:
Na seke dona-kon kan-an.
SG1 bone dog-DAT give-SG1

=> Additional simplification of the new and now quite common dative suffix
-kon:
Na seke dona-ko kan-an.
SG1 bone dog-DAT give-SG1

"I give a bone to the dog"