On 8 March 2016 at 04:04, Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I had a bit of fun lately translating the following into Angosey:
>
> The sky is not your limit.
>
> An inharaya reth ay kahley eleo sh'a.
>
> not LOC.CONJ-be-EM. SIT. barrier you-GEN. against
>
> where LOC.CONJ means the locative noun class conjugation
> EM. is the emotive mood
> SIT. means the situational noun class particle
> and GEN. means genitive
>
> The most interesting part of this translation is "your limit."  I had the
> opportunity to use one of my oldest words, dating back 16 or 17 years:
> kahley.
> It was originally defined as "barrier to travel, " which seems
> particularly appropriate.
> The English possessive here is translated as "against" or "in opposition
> to."
> A more literal retranslation would be:
>
> The sky is no barrier against you,
>
> I'm curious to see other solutions in different conlangs!

Interesting one! Had fun trying to find out how one would say that in
Moten. Naturally, it's a play on "the sky's the limit", so I first had to
think about how Moten would handle that. I ended up with:

_Gugedvo|n monemikton zekuz age._

ORIG-source<DEF><ACC.SG><GEN.SG>-ACC-GEN
mo-ne-mik<d>o-n
SPAT-as-long.distance<ACC.SG>-ACC
zek-z
go.upstream.of-PTCP
a-ge
PRS-have

"(One) can go as far as the source."

Keeping with Moten's use of river metaphors :). There's no subject or
object in this sentence, to keep it general.

For "the sky is not your limit", Moten's grammar allows that one to be
based on the previous one while at the same time being *simpler*:

_Ba ugedon zekuz age._

ba
you.SG

ug<e><d>o-n
source<DEF><ACC.SG>-ACC
zek-z
go.upstream.of-PTCP
a-ge
PRS-have

"You can go further than the source."

This works because _izeki_: "to go/move/be upstream of" is actually
*transitive* (in the first sentence, the object was omitted to keep it
general), so the sentence means literally: "you can go upstream of the
source." Since there's nothing upstream of a river than the source, this is
effectively saying "you can break any limitation put on you",  "there's
nothing you can't do". Given the simplicity of this saying compared to the
previous one, I'd expect it to be used more often in Moten :).

BTW, as to why we're talking about moving towards the source in these
sayings: Moten's time metaphor puts the future towards the source of a
river. So moving towards the source is actively moving towards one's future.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)

Personal Website: http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/