From Aikhenvald & Dixon _Possession and Ownership_ (2013) Section 2.4.3:
"Inalienably possessed nouns cannot occur on their own. They are, in a
sense, 'obligatorily' possessed and can be considered 'bound'. A
number of languages have a special way of creating free nouns out of
such bound forms."

The section then goes on to discuss Hixkaryana, Koyukon, and many
Arawak languages.

This book is in the LCS Library and available for checkout by LCS members.
-S