That's a bit different from what I and many other conculture builders do in
that your language apparently *is* fanfic in a sense. If I'm not mistaken
you created it to fit into an already existing conculture and the fan
culture surrounding it. In that scenario it makes sense to be neutral so as
to not offend existing expectations, notions and canon.

I have kind of experienced that in that I once wrote a text in Quenya which
was set in our contemporary world rather than Tolkien's fantasy world and
there were some really negative reactions. I have made the rather odd
experience that people are interested in coining words for more or less
modern technical inventions like telephones, automobiles and trains, but
not in texts using those coinages, or in coinages for other more or less
modern concepts which they perceive as alien to Tolkien's world or to
Tolkien's ideals as they suppose those to have been.

Here I was however commenting on And's remark that there seemed to be a
difference between the philosophical views Jörg expresses as his own and
those he ascribes to his conculture, which led me to reflect on the
relaition between the ideals prevalent *within* a conculture and those of
its creator, mentioning my own Sohlshan conculture as an example of the
opposite. After posting I realized that there of course is a tradition of
concultures which are at odds with their authors' ideals and meant to
reflect critically on our own culture by so being. The various cultures
Swift let Gulliver visit are perhaps the earliest modern example, but
Lucian of Samostata was into the same business in Antiquity. Among early
contemporary fantasy cultures Burroughs's come to mind but the examples are
multiple. Actually there is a shortage of concultures which are simply
morally and philosophically complex like our own reality. I'm trying to
make Sohlshan culture one. It in no way started out that way. Rather it
started out as a teenager's rather unreflecting Tolkien emulation, complete
with Ork analogues! However at least some of the 'Good Guys' soon became
morally ambiguous, reflecting the conflicts I was experiencing in my
reality.

I've still not figured out whether there would be a place for a concept
like 'democracy' in Sohldar or Middle-earth. The phenomenon certainly
exists in the latter, Ent politics being a consensus democracy.

/bpj
Den 20 mar 2016 16:01 skrev "Nina-Kristine Johnson" <[log in to unmask]