​Not stupid if you know where it came from. The idea of E-Prime (English
without "to be") came from an oversimplification (a drastic "reduction to
absurdity") of the philosophy of General Semantics by Alfred Korzybski (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Korzybski).
Nothing to do with conlanging. Nothing to do with semantics, either.
The motivation for E-Prime was that one should not use "be" in an equative
sense, such as "Mary you are a slob", because Mary is much more than a
slob! Rather, one should say "Mary you have done a slobbish thing", so as
to remind the speaker that individuals are not identical to their actions.
Similarly, one wouldn't say "Mary is a lawyer", but rather "Mary practices
law."
I am not a proponent of General Semantics, but I am sure you would agree
that all of us occasionally manifest sloppy thinking.
Jeffrey

​