On 19/04/2016 09:07, Pete Bleackley wrote:
> A unit of prosody.

Yes, and prosody deals with features such as pitch,
loudness, tempo and rhythm.

[snip]

> -----Original Message----- From: Decremental Bug To:
> CONLANG Sent: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 8:38 Subject: Re: Theory
> of Foot
>
> Might I ask - what *is* a foot ?

See above.  The term 'foot' has been used for more than two
millennia in traditional studies of metrical verse
structure.  What Victor refers to is an extension of the
term as used by some phoneticians and phonologists
particularly in languages displaying _isochronicity_, i.e.
where stressed syllables fall at more or less regular
intervals during an utterance, e.g. English.  It has
particular relevance to models of non-linear phonology.

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 7:33 AM, A Walker Scott wrote:
>
>> This content would make more sense for a blog or some
>> such.

Yep - Victor's use of 'bounded feet', 'degenerate feet', and
'left-dominance' and 'right-dominance' seems to put this
squarely in the realms of a theory known as 'metrical
phonology'  or J.R. Firth's prosodic phonology.

But while Victor for the most part talked about stress and
unstressed syllables he did at one point write:

>> On Monday, April 18, 2016, Victor Chan wrote:
[snip]
>> If quantity sensitivity exist, then bounded foot can
>> be either one heavy syllable or two light syllables.

... which IMO is confusing two different notions.  With
quantity were are surely dealing with morae; one light
syllable is monomoraic, while a heavy syllable is bimoraic.
  Quantitative verse differs in many respects from
stressed-based verse such as we have in English.

One of the interesting features of Classical Latin prosody
is seeing how the Roman authors managed to adapt the
quantitative meters of Ancient Greek, a language in which
stress played _no_ part, to Latin which did have word stress.

Trying to produce quantitative meter in English, where
stress is very marked, has not been successful, even though
we may used the same words.  A stress-based dactyl, e.g., is
a very different beast from a quantitative dactyl   :)

But my disappointment was that Victor began: "I now will
introduce the concept of foot for conlanging", but that said
nothing about conlanging    ;)

In the several variants of my briefscript projects, marked
(stressed and/or bimoraic) vowels were written and unmarked
(unstressed/ monomoraic) vowels were determined by various
rules of vowel harmony.  In earlier versions I did make use
of the stressed-based foot as, generally, discussed by
Victor.  But latterly, and more especially in Piashi (the
last avatar of the project before I abandoned it), I was
developing a moraic system.

I would find it more interesting if Victor had taken
specific prosodic model and outlined how he was going to use
this in his conlang.

--
Ray