Okay, to provide my own responses to the questions I posed:

FLAGS

My favourite is #9 (possibly with higher contrast), followed by #5 and #3.

ALPHABET

I like Stone's idea of combining sound and visual description where
possible. I also don't have a good solution for the non-root vowels.

COUNTING

The idea of prefixing numbers with a base feels a little cumbersome to me.
Stone's suggestion of using different bases in different context reminds me
of Korean's dual approach to numbers, and I find myself quite excited by
the possibilities in this space. We could have two separate sets of number
words (possibly related in some obvious way) so that no base indicators are
necessary, or possibly just have two sets of multiplier words, since the
base
doesn't actually matter while ever you're only dealing with single digits
(this
would probably feel a little like when English switches to duodecimal, e.g.
"2 dozen", "8 gross"). Decimal would be the default choice, but senary
would be used for times, and to lend a formal or poetic air when needed
(this seems like a very River thing to do...) Dates would still be expressed
in decimal (this is actually less crazy than Korean, which uses native
numbers for hours and Sino-Korean numbers for minutes).

CALENDAR

I've been thinking about the seconds problem, and Bird's suggestion to
use a thunderclap as a unit. I feel like using SI seconds in a system that
otherwise ignores normal timekeeping is a bit of a cop-out, but the massive
variance of thunderclap duration is problematic (the source Bird found gave
it as between 0.2 and 2 seconds).

I've done some hunting for other natural, non-cyclic phenomena that could
be used as a base unit, and would like to propose the lightning stroke
(30┬Ás) instead.

Setting the stroke:second ratio to be the same as the second:day ratio
(i.e. 1:6^6), gives us the following set of conversions (h standing for
'honey'):

1 hs ~= 1.40s
1 hmin ~= 50.39s
1 hh ~= 30.23 min
1 hday ~= 18.14h
1 hyear ~= 272.10 days / 8.94 months

I think this strikes a good balance between the other two systems, as most
units are close enough to their human equivalents that (under casual
conversation conditions) the system used shouldn't matter a great deal.
Hours are the main exception, where you should treat a honey hour as half
an hour. The year is surprisingly close to the human gestation period, so
we also wouldn't have to worry about Honey New Year rolling around every
six months.

Regarding the shorter day and needing to convert times, I already have a
tab open for converting EST times during Skype chats, so I see no
problems levelling that field ;)

-----

What are the personal emblems mentioned by Bird? I haven't seen those
mentioned before, but am happy to have a go at some Sajem Tan heraldry.

- River