Date:    Tue, 26 Apr 2016 14:03:35 -0400
From:    Jon Michael Swift <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Conlanging via D & D...has anyone done it?

Hey folks,

This seems like such an obvious idea to me, but I've also realized that I've never heard of anybody speaking Quenya in D & D games and it occurred to me to ask...does anyone take a shot of fantasy RPG in their conlanging/conworlding diet?

The reason I ask is because I'm planning on using this as a technique for advancing both my conlanging and pedagogy projects and I want to know what kind of success folks have had? It seems a great way to force an immersive environment where one might not otherwise exist.

As a specific sidebar to that, would it then be logical to replace dice rolls with actual speech tests? If you're a wizard, you have to know magic words, right? Can't you just test the ability of the character to speak the conlang by making it the spell and trading the dice roll for their facility with the phraseology? In such a scenario where there is a real-world challenge like speaking in a second language, I wonder if it would ruin the feel of the game or make it that much more interesting?

Just fishing for other experiences or leads on the topic.

deuces, yunz,
Jon