On Apr 29, 2016 3:54 PM, "Daniel Swanson" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> > Anyway, besides that, I'm trying to figure out: if I say the vowel sound
> in "food" and then say the vowel sound in "good", what has changed? I keep
> trying, but somehow I can't feel what the difference is. I ask because the
> "ú" in Krispúket is pronounced like the "u" in push, and I thought maybe
> knowing the nature of the change would help me make the other vowels less
> arbitrary... I suppose I could change the "ú" sound too if I needed...
>
> I pronounce "food" as /fud/ and "good" as /gɵd/ which is (according to the
> interactive IPA chart I used to determine this) moving it forward and down
> (from close back to close-mid central).

Thanks! I'll see if that helps.

> > Pardon my rambling... I just need to a workable alphabet, so I can make
> words, so I can make use of my vague ideas... (What do you mean, I should
> make less use of "..."??)
>
> Your overuse of elipses (if it is an overuse) is nothing to my overuse of
> parentheses (up to 5 nested layers!). :)

Parentheses are another weakness of mine, but not as much as ellipses
(kinda annoying that that's the plural of both "ellipsis" and "ellipse",
but that's not particularly relevant). But emoticons are even more so :-Ъ.
But they're not as troublesome as my habit of going off on a rabbit trail
and rambling on and on (which generally necessitates a lot of editing
before I hit "send")!

> > My biggest conundrum is still the fact that m and n don't fit into my
> tidy paradigm, since if I try to say them without voicing, they sound
> like... me breathing through my nose.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_bilabial_nasal
> According to Wikipedia, voiceless m is found in about a dozen languages.

Hmm... I'll have to ponder that one... of course if I whisper, say, "baba"
and "mama", they sound different, but if I whisper "mbale", it sounds
basically like a pause and then "pale" (not the English pronunciation of
"pale", of course). Maybe it mostly affects the adjacent vowels? I dunno...
I'm not like a professional phonetician or anything, I just make noises and
see (er, hear) how they sound! :-Ъ

Off topic: your name is a little trippy to me, because I know someone named
Daniel Swanson irl. But I don't think he's into conlangs.

-Christa