Passing along a notification from RI Bike I just received, for those not on their mailing list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Schiller, Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, May 10, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Subject:
​​
[ribike] road safety bill hearing today
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

Sorry for the short notice:
On Friday, May 6, 2016 a bill H8188 was introduced by Rep Lauren Carson (from Newport) which mandates a higher fine and penalties when certain moving violations, (including speeding, failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, out of lane travel, failure to yield to a bicyclist in a bike lane) leads to bodily injury, serious injury, or death.  The increasing penalties exactly parallel the language already in the law for a few other moving violations such as failure to yield at a yield sign resulting in injury etc.   Otherwise, currently there are no additional penalties when you kill or injure someone with those violations beyond the usual $85 fine, the bill would raise it to $200, $500, $1000 for causing injury, serious injury, death respectively, the latter case includes a license suspension.

The RIBike Coalition supports the bill and would welcome any support/advice.  At the State House, there is a hearing on this bill at House Judiciary coming TODAY, Tuesday, May 10 at the "rise" (ca 4:30pm) and I hope interested RIBike folks can attend, especially if you know of a story where someone was injured by a moving violation where the perpetrator faced no or minimal penalties.

Barry Schiller, RI Bike Legislative Chair
353-6536

Bike to Brown discussion list: http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/bike-to-brown.html

Bike to Brown website: http://biketobrown.brown.edu/