We do not screen children for hypoglycemia at triage. But definitely any
child in ER who is sick enough, we routinely do blood sugar except those
with minor complaints or minor injuries.

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 10:03 PM, Todd Zimmerman <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think if you have DM and have a related complaint it makes sense. If a
> kid is looking bad in any way in which someone is thinking about getting a
> sugar I want that pt. in a bed immediately with my eyes on him/her.
> I am not sure if you are thinking or suggesting this, but I would not
> advocate screening for hypoglycemia in triage or once they are back in a
> room. I think it would over utilization of resources and cause unnecessary
> pain to a lot kids. If they are looking worrisome or significantly
> dehydrated than I may check a sugar. When they perfect Dr. Mccoys scanning
> wand, or at least come up with a reliable transcutaneous glucometer, than
> maybe I would reconsider.
> Cheers,
>

> Todd Z
>

> Dr. Todd Zimmerman
>
> ** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and its attachments may contain
> confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information which is legally
> protected from disclosure. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or
> other use of this information by persons or entities other than the
> intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in
> error, please notify the sender immediately and appropriately delete the
> material from your computer. Thank you.

*With good wishes *

*Dr (Prof) Suresh Gupta*

*Senior Consultant, Pediatric Emergency and Critical CareInstitute of Child
Health, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi*

*President, Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Delhi**Ex President: STEP:
Society for Trauma and Emergency Pediatrics*
*Society for Trauma and Emergency Pediatrics <http://stepindia.org.in>*

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html