Welcome to Orlando, where the sun always shines. Saturday, it was about 75 and sunny…in contrast, it was snowing and cold in most of the Midwest and Northeast. If our weather sounds like your kind of weather, it could be time to consider opportunities in sunny Florida. Specifically, we would like you to think about your future in Pediatric Emergency Medicine at Nemours Children’s Hospital (NCH), Orlando, FL. Our four year-old hospital is located in Lake Nona, an Orlando suburb that is a perfect fit for both young, single professionals and families alike, with access to outdoor activities, night life and family entertainment. Within 25 minutes you can be in downtown Orlando or Walt Disney World, and it’s less than 45 minutes to the intracoastal waterways and beach.

The positions in Pediatric Emergency Medicine offer unique opportunities to contribute to the ongoing development of a new department and academic division. From clinical process design and operations management, development of education programs, and initiation of quality research, the ambitious candidate will find challenges to meet their goals.  As a new department, we are growing rapidly. Actual visits were 22% greater than the prior year for last year, with steady growth leading to an anticipated 37,000 visits this year, and ~43,000 projected for next year. With this growth, our average daily visits for the first quarter of this year were 111, with median time to room and provider 13 and 34 minutes respectively, median LOS of 132 minutes. Commensurate with our numerical growth, we are seeing an increase in the acuity and complexity of our patients.
Our current PEM staff is eleven physicians, including one nocturnist and one weekender. In addition, we have two board certified pediatricians and four advanced practice nurses providing double, triple and quadruple coverage in our department. We also have a core of moonlighters composed of advanced practice nurses and physicians boarded in pediatrics, various subspecialties. In order to manage our ongoing growth, we are budgeted to add another pediatrician and two PEM physicians, as well as an additional nurse practitioner over the next year. We are actively seeking enthusiastic BC/BE PEM physicians who are interested in helping to build this new academic program.

As one of the nation’s leading pediatric healthcare systems, Nemours provides world-class clinical care in four states – Delaware, Florida, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. In October 2012 Orlando became home to Nemours Children’s Hospital, part of a unique 60-acre health campus, which includes a new ambulatory diagnostic center, research and educational facilities. This new state-of-the-art, academic, free-standing children’s hospital aims to set a new standard for patient and family experience in central Florida, with up to 137 inpatient beds (over 250 inpatient beds in phase 2). A residency in Pediatrics is planned to open in 2018, with specialty Fellowships to follow. The vision and mandate is for Nemours Children’s Hospital to differentiate itself in Central Florida and Southeastern United States through a combination of outstanding family experience, top-tier pediatric care, multi-disciplinary tertiary programs, and cutting-edge basic, clinical and translational research, to become a leading pediatric referral center for Florida, and a national and international destination.

Located in Orlando’s new Lake Nona Medical City, adjacent neighboring institutions - including University of Central Florida (UCF) College of Medicine, Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute, Orlando Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Florida (UF) Research and Academic Center and M.D. Anderson Orlando Cancer Research Center – offer partners for research and academic collaboration.

PEM Physician candidates must be Board Certified or Board Eligible in Pediatric Emergency Medicine. Candidates for acute care Pediatrician spots must be Board Certified or Board Eligible in General Pediatrics. All candidates must be eligible for unrestricted Florida Medical Licensure.

Nemours offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes relocation; occurrence-based malpractice coverage; health, life, and dental insurance; pension plan and 403B retirement plan; CME, licensure and dues allowances; tuition reimbursement; and premium-free in-network health coverage for children of full-time Associates.

Nemours is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.

Interested applicants should send or email a letter of interest and CV to:
Interested candidates should respond to me, at [log in to unmask]

In addition, please forward your CV:
Tracy Dill
Administrative Assistant
Pediatric Emergency Medicine