On 2016-05-10 12:04 PM, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews wrote:

> I've been communicating with the Conlangery podcast creators about
> diallects and sociolinguistics. Yemora has twelve races, one that
> shits genders, and one that shifts into a feline-like creature called
> a Cutsnea.
>
> Do I need 12 or 14 dialects?

Neither gender shifting nor shape shifting absolutely requires a
separate dialect. You need to decide why a separate dialect might make
sense within your narrative.

The most compelling argument I can think of for a separate dialect for
the shape shifters, would be if the feline form was unable to pronounce
the words used by the humanoid form, or vice versa. Each form might
understand both dialects, but the differences would be more likely
related to sound, rather than grammar or syntax. In this case, 'dialect'
probably isn't even the correct term.

For the gender shifters, there would probably be special gender-related
words used by the entire race, but I believe that natlang gender-related
dialects tend to be 'secret languages', which wouldn't make much sense
if one person could be multiple genders. This doesn't mean that you
couldn't have separate dialects, just that you need to decide why these
dialects exist in the first place. It is your world, after all. Internal
consistency generally trumps earth-related correspondence for any
non-human narrative.

Ralph
--
Any opinions above may not be responsible.