On 9 May 2016 at 13:53, Nina-Kristine Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Daya!
>
> I'm certain this has been covered at least ten thousand times, here.
>
> Lately, I've been seriously thinking about publishing my EhenĂ­v textbook (t*he
> language of the Gerudo Tribe* stuff will be omitted as will words that have
> *Gerudo* in them or anything else copyrighted by Nintendo, Ltd).
>
> I wrote it in 2010, originally and have since revised it several times to
> keep current and to coincide with my web-site (
> http://va-eheniv.conlang.org/gerudolang1.html )
>
> It's a hit with fan-fiction authors and a small, *Legend of Zelda* fan
> base. Particularity those who love the Gerudo tribe (truly a *niche market*
> !)
>
> However, despite how simple that sounds(especially the bit about detaching
> it from the Gerudo)...there are some issues I am having about it.
>
> As of now: I offer it for *free of charge* via email (an e-book which is
> usually a PDF) on my website (as well as the old website). And I allow
> fan-fiction authors to use the language (with or without the textbook) in
> their work. I do ask for some credit, though.
>
> As often as I get requests: I fear if I do manage to copyright and publish
> it (Again: *omitting any links to the copyrighted Gerudo tribe!* I may have
> created the language, but, that doesn't mean I am a* Gerudo **Thief*) that
> people will lose interest in it. Be like 'I have to pay!? Lame!' and that
> is the end of that.

OK, first thing: it's already copyrighted. If you have removed all
references to Nintendo properties, then it is entirely unambiguously
copyrighted in your name. Under US law at least, creative works are
*automatically* copyrighted on creation and owned by the author unless
you have entered into a contract to transfer copyright to someone else
(e.g., as a work for hire), or you explicitly dedicate it to the
public domain.

> Obviously what *sold* (figurative term...I didn't actually make money from
> this whole thing) the language was the fact that it was a complete, very
> well-written hypothesis of *Ganondorf's native language*. People wanted
> that for their fan-fictions that featured him and his tribe. Not everybody,
> but those who liked using *constructed languages *to spice up their pieces.
> I actually have a couple who have me on their figurative *speed-dial* when
> they write fan-fics.
>
> I still want to let the *fan-fiction authors* use it and free of charge.
> However, I want to copyright it in case it gets stolen (as if that is going
> to happen! I'm still waiting for Nintendo's phone call or subpoena,
> whichever comes first). And also, maybe the *non-Gerudo* version make a
> little bit of dosh. But, that might be asking too much.

Well, you don't have to worry about that. If somebody steals it, it's
already copyrighted. Now, you can pay some money and fill out some
paperwork to get a *registered* copyright, and someone else with more
legal knowledge can probably explain what the actual benefits of that
are (perhaps Sai?), but your automatic copyright is likely sufficient
for most purposes.

> So my question is this: How can I successfully omit *Gerudo* and still have
> people interested in it? Keep the fans?

This is a totally different question from copyrighting. And, I don't
know. Presumably you can leave "Gerudo" out of the work itself, but
still tell people that that's where the inspiration for the language
came from, and let them know that other fan-fics have already made use
of the language in that capacity.

Standards disclaimers about how I am not a lawyer, not your lawyer,
and this is not actually legal advice....

-l.