I am working on a new conlang. The culture was pre-literate, but during
encounters with "developed" world folk, they adopted the Roman alphabet,
with some diacritics, for their language. There is a lot of assimilation in
the conlang: vowel harmony, consonant (de)voicing, gemination. The nouns
take case and honorifics, and the inflections can cause
such assimilation in the word. I am wondering whether to: (1) write
everything phonetically as it is pronounced; or (2) write it without the
assimilation because that makes the stems clearer. I do not really care
what would occur in real life as much as I want to make it easy for other
conlangers to use the language, either in spoken form or in translation
(such as relays). What are the crowd's opinions?  --Jeffrey