Hi Paolo,

Some of the benefits of using the prefixDef/private URI scheme mechanism
are:

  - It allows you to use any attribute whose data type is one or more
pointers;

  - It allows you to document in a standard and processable way how such
pointers can be converted into full URIs.

If, as may well be the case, @source also becomes global
(<https://github.com/TEIC/TEI/issues/536>), the first benefit will be
considerably greater.

@cRef, by contrast, allows for only a single reference to be encoded in
one instance of the attribute, and is much more restricted in its
availability.

However, if you are already well into your project, have documented the
mechanism for resolution of your cRefs properly, and are not feeling the
need for multiple pointers or a wider availability of attributes that
can carry such canonical references, then there's nothing wrong with
sticking to your current practice.

Cheers,
Martin