The full story on this is probably reconstructable from
https://github.com/TEIC/TEI/issues/545 : but clearly the change needs a
bit more thinking through, and the prose in the chapter
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/DI.html#DIHW) is
now inconsistent with the definitions, which is obviously Wrong.

However, I am not sure that what Geoffrey is trying to do with <oRef> is
actually what this tag (or oVar) was intended for. Am waiting for him to
send me clearer examples...