Dear Marion,

are you talking about the description of such a manuscript or are you
addressing the transcription? <altIdentifier> would address the former,

Nevertheless, I think you/we need to distinguish two things:

1. The current state of "the manuscript", which will be one surface that
contains script and traces of former scripts but it will still be one
physical object.

2. If we think of this object as product of some scribal activity (what
we used to describe in <origin>) the surface has two different
histories, maybe even two different sets of physical attributes as the
palimpsested pages often are reused by turning them 90° or 180°, maybe
folding them and only then writing upon the "new" surface. So, if we
consider them to be "parts" of some virtual "original" objects, we will
find that the palimpsest may have been part of another manuscript and
definitely the upper script is a manuscript of its own. Looking from
that historical perspective we will have to consider them as two objects.

I have argued before that this fact, that a palimpsest manuscript has
more than one history makes up for describing it as distinct manuscripts
using <msPart> -or, if only parts of the original, palimsested
manuscript are preserved, maybe even the newly established <msFrag>.

If you were addressing the transcription I definitely would argue for
two "texts" that relate to the same surface, e.g. using <sourceDoc> with
multiple <surfaceGrp>s.

You may know the new "standard" IIIF [1] and its underlying philosophy,
SharedCanvas, offers a -I think- similar interpretation of how to think
about this question. Only right now, IIIF and TEI aren't linked together
in a defined way.

Best, Torsten

PS: In the course of a newly founded project and site concerned with
fragments [2] we had a meeting recently discussing this general question
as well. Stay tuned for answers how we will deal with these questions. ;-)

[1] http://iiif.io
[2] http://fragmentarium.ms

--
Torsten Schassan - Digitale Editionen, Abteilung Handschriften und
Sondersammlungen