Hallo conlangers!

On 09.06.2016 03:28, Padraic Brown wrote:

> On Tue, 31 May 2016 15:48:51 +0200, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I have heard the term "conmusic" for the music of fictional cultures. So
>> someone making conmusic would be a "conmusician". As "conlang" does not
>> necessarily imply fictionality, we can expand the term "conmusic" to
>> include edifices like that of Harry Partch, who would thus be a
>> conmusician without anchoring his music in a fictional world.
> I've heard the term as well, but I find it much harder to apply than even "conlanger". The reason being, music is already a universally accepted art,
> as is the composing of it. No further qualifiers are necessary. Take the music that was written for the Elves (or indeed the Hobbits!) in the LotR
> movies. I would nòt consider those tunes necessarily examples of "conmusic", and the composer was not really acting the part of "conmusician".
>
> Same goes for whoever wrote the snippet of Klingon opera music or the whistle tune Piccard played.

Most of the diegetic music in fantasy or science fiction films (such as
the music played by the band in the Mos-Eisley spaceport bar in _Star
Wars: A New Hope_, which is essentially just 1920s jazz played on
synthesizers) is just music that follows real-world music traditions,
but that is IMHO essentially the same problem as with poorly-designed
fictional languages that are just altered versions of natlangs.

You just can't argue from this that conmusic does not exist; what about,
for instance, the music Herman Miller has created for his small furry
beings, with made-up tuning systems, instruments (probably just emulated
on a synthesizer) and terminology in his conlangs? He is certainly more
than just a composer; he has made things by himself which most composers
take for granted.

> I'm open to being convinced otherwise, but I really don't see creating a musical style or genre for an otherworld as significantly different than
> exploring some new direction in ordinary music. When I write music that occurs in The World, while I consider all that matter as part of the culture
> & history of the place, I don't really see this composing as "different".
>
> I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on this!

I feel that you are trivializing the invention of a new music system
(scales, instruments, forms, etc.) the same way as you trivialize the
invention of a new language in the other thread. By the same logic you
argue that conmusicians are just musicians you could (and actually seem
to) argue that conlangers are just writers. Or did I get you wrong?

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf