On 10 June 2016 at 19:15, Gabriel Brinton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> ¡Hola, idiomateros!
>
> I'm pretty new to the list, and i've already given a cursory introduction for my part, but i want to know more about who else is on here. Someone has probably made an intro thread before, but this list is overdue for one, so imma try and start a fun thread: Let's play 20 Questions! And by 20 Questions, i mean that i just typed up a bunch of get-to-know you questions for you all, and realized at the end i had exactly 20 (although it appears segmenting a string of questions for counting is a non-trivial problem). Huzzah!
>
> Who are you?

Logan Kearsley. 27 years old, married, resident of Utah for a
surprisingly long time given my military-brat childhood, reader,
writer, conlanger, poi & staff-dancer, and soon-to-be-father. Which
position I intend to shamelessly exploit for developmental linguistic
science, as my sister did with her kids before me.

> What are you working on?

Getting a thesis the rest of the way through Office of Graduate
Studies bureaucracy! And finding a new home for multimedia
language-instruction software now that my lab is being dissolved.

Ah, but on the conlang side:

Valaklwuuxa, a model of Salish morphosyntax with clicks.
WSL, a "naturalistic" language with no verbs.
Amalishke, a naturalistic language for an isolated dieselpunk-era
mountain jungle tribe for one of my wife's novels.
And a large backlog of other projects that I return to from time to time.

> What's your L1? Your L2, L3, etc?

American military-brat English (it's a distinctive dialect!) Mine is
flavored with Idaho, Midwest, and BBC.
I studied French for a while due to living in Belgium, but stopped
after middle school and switched to Russian. I can barely eke out any
French anymore, although I usually understand when my former boss or
my dad try to talk to me in it. I am both fluent and reasonably
competent in Russian. And I've been trying to teach myself Irish for
*years* (I attend a university with a ridiculously high concentration
of classes in obscure languages, and yet the one language they don't
teach is Irish!), with mixed success.

> What do you want from a conlang?

Intrigue.

> Naturalism or philosophical compatibility or usability?

Yes. Usability is high on the list, and I generally try to graft a
veneer of naturalism on top of my loglangy foundations.

> Do you have a language crush, whether nat or con?

Irish.

> Who do you look up to? Tolkien or St. Hildegard von Bingen or someone more modern?

As someone else said, the CONLANG list. I don't think there is any one
person I aspire to be like.

> Do you put your language in a fictional context?

Sometimes. Amalishke came with a context already made, and I made up a
context for WSL for lexicon-derivation purposes. Celimine and Serikats
(two of my oldest languages) have concultures associated with them,
but in all other cases the fictional context is secondary to
experimenting with the language itself.

> Are you down with nouns, or are you a verb nerb (alternatively, if you can't abide "nerb," and i wouldn't blame you, i'll accept "in lerb with verbs")?

Well, I made a language with no verbs at all, and then I turned right
around and made a language that's almost entirely verbs, so....

> Are you an armchair or faculty-office-chair linguist (whatever kind of chair _that_ is)?

Well, given my academic background, I like to think of myself as an
actual non-armchair linguist, but I don't actually have a faculty
position....

> Have you just finished, oh idk, defending a Master's thesis? :D

Why, yes I have! However did you know!?

> Reference grammars or texts and translations?

Mostly reference grammars, with text and translations to provide
appropriate examples for inclusion in the grammars.

> Sounds or structures?

Mostly structures, but sometimes sounds.

> Grammar or lexicon??

Mostly grammar, but sometimes lexicon.

> Coke or Pepsi?! (These are the hard-hitting questions.)

Root Beer. Old Dominion, A&W, or Barq's.
(No kvas, though. No, it is *not* "your equivalent of root beer", that
stuff is objectively disgusting!)

> How did you get into this?

Mostly Tolkien. And a sudden realization that languages are cool and
English is boring after moving back to the states and discovering that
*everybody speaks the same thing here*.

> How did you find this group?

I cannot remember. It probably had something to do with
alt.language.artificial, though. That was my first conlanging
community, and then USENET died a slow horrible death. Fortunately,
The List was here to escape to.

> And what drives you to continue making languages?

Fun. And disproving other people's unfounded conjecture about how
languages must/can't work.

-l.