Dennis - As you can see from the brisk response this is a very difficult
question, and largely defined by your setting, your volume, and your
funding sources.

One of the problems that I have seen is that the better you are at this
business, the more problems you attract. We are the 'backstop' for all the
problems in the system.

Having said that - here is how I would arbitrarily define a great Peds ED -
recognizing that many of the things you mentioned aren't measurable.

- Metrics - LWOT/AMA less than 1%, unscheduled return to admission less
than 0.5%, throughput to discharge less than 100 minutes, throughput to
admit less than 240 minutes.

- Patient complaints (non-financial) less than 0.1%

- Percentage of PEMs with 10 years in department > 50%

- Percentage of RNs with 10 years in department > 30%

- Academic/Hospital/Community involvement of PEM staff > 75%.

- Patient satisfaction - top quartile (ugh)

- After succeeding at all of the above you all don't hate each other!! Good
luck!!

Jay Fisher MD
Medical Director
Pediatric EM