In our children's hospital (in a big city) we have 24/7 CT scan. This is my
first position after fellowship. When I first came I tried ordering US for
appendicitis. I received numerous phone calls stating the US techs were not
"good enough" to find the appendix. One tried tech even told my pts, mother
that US is not used to find the appendix and I was doing something wrong.
Then I got a lecture from one of the radiologist explaining to me that this
is the REAL WORLD not academics therefore stop ordering US and use the CT.

Its pretty sad that even when kids come from an OSH with an US concerning
for an appy our surgeons want us to scan them. Our group has tried numerous
times to educate both the rads, and the surgeons regarding this issue.
Showing them numerous articles and they don't care. Sad really. It makes me
angry ordering all these CTs for something that can easily be diagnosed
with an US.

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html