Well, this discussion shows nicely that there isn't a single
one-size-fits-all scenario for teaching TEI! Martin is thinking of a
scenario in which the primary objective is to get students up and
encoding documents in a (more or less) predefined environment; I am
thinking of one in which the primary objective is to get students to
understand how to make their own TEI markup environments. So I want to
place more emphasis on how to define and modify an ODD, and less on the
nitty gritty of how it gets processed to produce a schema and
documentation. Of course, there's no reason why I shouldn't follow
Martin's lead and define an oXygen project for defining ODDs, but so far
I haven't found that necessary. What I *have* found necessary is to go
beyond the rather limited facilities for ODD editing offered by Roma.

But I'm aware that there's a slight contradiction here...