The order in which elements or attributes are displayed is actually
predefined: they are always given in alphabetic order. But this just
reflects the fact that the order in which they appear in the source has
no particular significance in XML.

This is not true of paragraphs of prose, obviously. The order in which
they appear in the source (probably) matters!

 >I understand this point of view. But then I have the ability to add an
attribute or an element with `@mode="add"`. Where will they be shown in
the HTML? Before or after the other attributes/elements? Who knows? But
is it that >important? I'd say that the ability to easily base (and
rebase) a schema over TEI is more important.