Hello,

is there a way in ODD to *add* remarks to an element specification
without losing the original remarks from the base/original specification?

The schema of a project I am working on is deviating a bit from the
standard TEI and I would like to document these deviations in a
systematic way. The best place to do this seems a `<remarks>` element
inside `<elementSpec>`.

The problem I am facing is that when a `<remarks>` element is used in a
ODD file, the original remark of the element is replaced.

A practical example: the `<add>` element. The `<add>` element in the TEI
has a nice note that I would like to preserve: «In a diplomatic edition
attempting to represent an original source, the <add> element should not
be used...». Now, if I add a `<remarks>` like this:

```
<elementSpec ident="add" mode="change">
     <remarks>
     </remarks>
</elementSpec>
```

the text «We use add in a weird way.» will replace the original one in
the generated HTML. I was expecting two "Note" lines, I got only one. Oops.

My workaround is to copy and paste the source of the original remark
into my ODD. This feels wrong.

A possible solution may be the addition of a `@mode` attribute with a
meaning similar to that of the *Spec elements, so that one could write:

```
<remarks mode="add">
</remarks>
```

And get this remark _in addition_ (and not _instead of_) the original
remark.

Or are there better alternatives that I have not found yet?

Regards,

PS: it is funny that a single "remark" goes in an element called "remarks".

--
Gioele Barabucci <[log in to unmask]>