Dear Elena,
unfortunately I am exactly in the same plight for exactly the same
reasons: what I usually do is recommending a free/open source XML editor
to do the course exercises, and then have a go at Oxygen to prepare the
final exam project. My editor of choice is XML Copy Editor
(http://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net/), whose development seems to
have stopped, sadly, and while it reports "RelaxNG validation" in its
description I couldn't make it work; important limitation: only works on
Macs under emulation.

I still hope that some day we'll get a student version of Oxygen:
simplified UI, only XML editing/validation and XSLT 1 transformations,
light on resources and cheap to buy; I'll tell you what, I'd like to
have that for my day to day work ;)

Best,

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Studi           rosselli at ling.unipi.it
Umanistici                      Then spoke the thunder  DA
Universita' di Torino           Datta: what have we given?  (TSE)

  Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
  mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)