Dear Martina and list,
I see the problem you're facing with redundancy in referencing the monograph information with each new entry representing an internal part of the monograph. In my projects I need to do much the same thing: prepare a distinct entry for each short text in a single collection. I use bibl rather than biblStruct, so I may not be facing some constraints with the use of the monogr element, and I don't use monogr at all, so my approach may not be useful to you. But perhaps the approach may help:

I create one bibl entry that contains information in the entire book, and use the @level="m" on the title element to indicate this is a monograph title. In that same entry, I might nest a series of  title elements with @level="a" for analytic that list the section titles inside the book (or I might not--it isn't strictly necessary to my practice--see next paragraph). The bibl element for the whole monograph is given an @xml:id.

Then I create separate bibl entries with title elements set to @level="a" to represent each "section" of the monograph. In one of my projects the sections are sometimes reprinted identically except for pagination in multiple locations, or I may want to indicate that this section bears a relationship to another version of it in a later publication, so my
coding strategy is to be open to multiple kinds of referencing: both the books that house this titled unit of text, and to other forms this text has taken. Instead of using XInclude, here is what I do: In the section entries, where these are members of a monograph, I include only the title of the monograph in a second title entry with @level="m" and I add an @ref="#id" just pointing to the xml:id of the monograph entry. I add the biblScope information there, too, indicating page range. If the text is represented elsewhere, that information is added to the section entry with @ref pointing out to the next resource, and if it's a variation, the pointing takes place in a note element on the bibl, where I identify other related forms and reference them.

I usually do make the monograph entry point (redundantly) to the section entries by just listing their titles and using @ref to point to their distinct entires, but I don't think it is strictly necessary, so long as the section entries are pointing up to the "mothership" monograph entry.

Hope some of that is useful for you from the weeds of complicated bibliography markup!

Elisa
--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
Director, Center for the Digital Text | Associate Professor of English