Hallo conlangers!

On 01.07.2016 22:11, BPJ wrote:

> Den 2016-07-01 kl. 18:09, skrev Roman Rausch:
>>> i only got 18/30
>>> I only got 12/30!
>>> I got 19/30
>>> Me 23 out of 30
>>> 20 of 30 for me.
>>
>> Whaat?! Come on guys, anything below 27/30 is embarassing. :-D The
>> only drugs in that list that can be mistaken for Elvish names are
>> Obredon and Mellaril, and Imin is so short and featureless that it
>> might be either.
>
> I got 29/30. The one which got me was Imin. That must be a very early
> (in T's lifetime I mean :-) name indeed!

I got 28/30. Most were pretty easy to me because I knew many (though not
all) of the names as Elf names from Tolkien's work, and many of the drug
names conformed to neither Quenya's nor Sindarin's phonotactic rules.
But there were a few which I guessed right, and two which I guessed wrong.

>>> Another letter that i haven't seen in an Elf's name is <z>
>>
>> 'Course not - /z/ appears neither in the (Late) Quenya, nor in the
>> Sindarin phonology. (It does in Old Quenya and Adunaic, though.)

Yes. Old Quenya has it (e.g., in _Ezellochar_); it was later rhotacized.
Adûnaic has it too, bit it is of course not an Elvish language.

>>> As people have noted before, Tolkien's words and names are
>>> mellifluous in a very anglocentric way, which partly means English
>>> influence, but really it means influence
>>> from the languages of people whom anglophones admire.
>>
>> So most anglophones admire Finnish and Welsh? *headscratch*
>>

> Don't forget Spanish and Old English!

As I have said earlier, the "mellifluousness" is not the main reason why
I find the Quendian languages beautiful. The main reason is their
naturalism: they verily resemble natlangs, which is due to the
diachronic method Tolkien used and his generally very keen feel for what
makes a "real" language. Everything plays nicely together in these
conlangs; there is nothing that seems artificial or out of place.

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf