Hello,

the current guidelines contain `<lb>` and `<pb>` elements for line and
page breaks. Could TEI introduce `<wb>` as well?

The practical use case I have is not precisely for `<wb/>`, but for `<wb
break="no"/>`. Let me explain. There are many cases in which the markup
and the formatting of the markup introduces unwanted spaces, for example

```
She said hel<add>l<note>In a first printed draft the second "l" is not
present</note></add>o to her son.
```

could be reformatted into the more readable

```
She said hel
     <add>
         <note>In a first printed draft the second "l" is not present</note>
     </add>
     o to her son.
```

(This is actually a simplification of the concrete case we are dealing
with, with two more layers of nested elements and in which some
indentation is unavoidable.)

You case see that the normalized text of the second snippet, once the
note is taken out of the text, is "She said hel l o to her son".

It would be nice to have a way to tell the XML applications that will
read this file to ignore certain spaces in certain cases, for example
this one.

One could, for example, write this as

```
She said hel
     <wb break="no"/>
     <add>
         <note>In a first printed draft the second "l" is not present</note>
     </add>
     <wb break="no"/>
     o to her son.
```

or some variation on the theme.

I am pretty sure that other groups must have already been bitten by this
issue. Has this topic been discussed in the past?

Regards,

--
Gioele Barabucci <[log in to unmask]>