> A preposition with an elided object?

That's one good naming strategy.

Another one, which I think I prefer in more frequent use, is to use the
word class labels freely depending on how a particular word is used in a
given example. So if you have a word that functions as an adposition in one
environment, call it an "adposition" there, and if the same word appears as
a free objectless adverb in some other context, call it an "adverb" there.

You get similar fuzzyness between adpositions and another word class if
your language has relational nouns that look and behave like nouns but also
do the job of adpositions. Whether you label these words "nouns" or
"adpositions" should depend on what's convenient for the description of the
language or what kind of a grammatical argument are you intending to make.

   -Jyri

   -Jyri