On 20/08/2016 11:36, James Hyett wrote:
> In (Canadian, at least) French, "Salut" is a pretty
> common greeting and valediction.

... and in France:
http://www.wikihow.com/Say-Hello-in-French

But it ain't Latin!  :)

> -James
>
>> Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:29:33 +0200 From:
>> [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: Servus and Latin greetings
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>
>> You can (still) say _salve_ in Italian, but I'm not
>> sure it would count as a Latinism.

You can indeed:
http://www.wikihow.com/Say-Hello-in-Italian

Yes, altho _salve_ was taken from Latin, it is now
invariable when used in Italian (In Latin the greeting
becomes _salvēte_ when greeting more than one person), so I
take BPJ's point   :)

>> lördag 20 augusti 2016 skrev Siva Kalyan:
>>
>>> “Prosit” as the equivalent of “cheers” in German?
>>>
>>> Siva

Very true.  _prosit_ a subjunctive with meaning 'let it be
of benefit/ advantage'.  In the New Year's Day concert from
Vienna the orchestra always wish viewers PROSIT NEUES JAHR!

Which is interesting in that the Latin verb is given a
German subject   :)

>>> from Latin.

Yes, it is.  I first came across it nearly 40 years ago used
by an Austrian foreign language assistante who lodged with
us for two years.  She habitually use it when phoning family
and Austrian friends.

But altho it is of Latin origin, I'm not sure that one can
call its use as a greeting a Latinism as this young lady
should, of course, have said _serva_  if it were truly Lstin  :)

_servus_ is short for _tuus servus [sum]_ "[I am] your
servant"; cf. the old fashioned letter ending: "I remain
your (obedient) servant ..."

But, like the Italian _salve_, it has just become an
invariable greeting and lost its original meaning. So
whether it should count as a Latinism is a moot point.

>>> Would other Latin greetings like "pax vobiscum"

It wasn't a greeting in ancient Rome, but became used in
Christian and, presumably Latin-speaking Jewish, circles on
the model of Hebrew _shalom aleikhem_ שָׁלוֹם עֲלֵיכֶם‎‎.  It
occurs in Catholic and Lutheran liturgy.  I am not aware of
its entering the spoken language anywhere.

>>> or "salve" have survived until today in some forms in
>>> any modern languages?

For _salve_, see above.

Ray