Alex Fink wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 15:49:17 -0400, Herman Miller
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I agree that names like Pikachu might be best to leave alone
>> (Nidoran and Gyarados are other examples from Generation I), but I
>> think it's a good exercise to make names for them from meaningful
>> word elements anyway.
>
> Yes, I had noticed that you were overwhelmingly inclining to the
> strategy of compounds, possibly truncated or otherwise compressed.  I
> reckon it is an even better workout to try to replicate the stratum
> of names which are not compound, which take their elements not from
> the basic workaday vocabulary but from the non-basic vocabulary of,
> how to put it, morphemes which are rare or long or proper or foreign
> or whatnot enough for speakers to find them interesting in their own
> right.  From your recent posts the English "Jynx", "Ditto", "Tauros",
> probably "Lapras" (certainly "Laplace") are of this type.  (This is
> the same sort of contrast that my native-speaker intuition says comes
> up in onomastics elsewhere -- if I had to name a new product line or
> programme or whatever, "Ditto" or "Laplace" would be names that fit
> the onomastic mould, whereas e.g. "Copy" is utterly unnamelike, and
> "Ice" while it's a forceful element still somehow feels to me like it
> becomes namier with more substance, "Ice Age" or "Iceweasel" vel
> sim.)

I've tried not to create new roots when an existing one will work, so I
haven't made too many names using less common vocabulary ... mainly
because that non-basic vocabulary isn't very well developed in Tirëlat
yet. (Even less so in Jarda.) I don't get the connection of the name
"Laplace" with the Pokémon Lapras ... Bulbapedia suggests that Laplace
"wrote several books on the mathematical properties of the sea and
tides", but that's not specific enough to explain why Lapras is named
after him (alternatively, another suggestion from Bulbapedia is that
"Laplace" is from French "la place" meaning "seat", as you can ride on
their backs across the water). "Ice turtle" isn't very creative, but
it's the best I could think of.

> What does Tirëlat have in the way of this non-basic vocabulary
> stratum?

Not much that's suitable for Pokémon names; perhaps "scythe" in the name
of Scyther, and some of the more exotic animal and plant names. It's a
bit limiting that I've only got one word for e.g. "poison", when English
also has "toxin / toxic" and "venom". (Something to look at for future
vocabulary-building exercises.... Not enough near-synonyms.)

> And to add an incidental question which might betray my total
> unfamiliarity with the franchise, what is up with the romanisations
> of the Japanese names you are providing?  They seem completely
> asystematic.  Are they somehow the official ones, and if so in what
> capacity?
>
> Alex

Those are the Romanized names from trademark filings.