From: International Auxiliary Languages [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Paul Bartlett
Sent: Friday, November 4, 2016 11:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Are emojis creating an IAL?

On 2016-11-03, Leo Moser wrote:

> *This seems like an important study for us at Auxlang to look at:*
>
> http://www.journals.aiac.org.au/index.php/alls/article/viewFile/2823/2
> 398
>
> *I've marked some in red below.*
>
> *Regards,           LEO*

Thanks for the link, Leo. I have glanced at it, although not yet had a time
to look at it in detail. It seems to me that this would be a sort of
non-verbal (i.e., not pronounceable) oligosynthetic language.
However, there could be a sort of cross cultural problem. Different cultures
might interpret different emojis differently. I recall reading once of an
attempt to provide some sort of pictorial instructions for non-literate
refugees from southeast Asia. The attempt failed, simply because the
intended audience just did not interpret the pictures in the same way as the
illustrators, who were all westerners. It was a matter of culture and life
experiences. So I am skeptical that this sort of approach would be effective
as an IAL.

However, on a similar note, some years ago I downloaded "Signology," an
attempt at a non-verbal language.  I have it as a zip file in my own space
at

http://www.panix.com/~bartlett/Signology.zip (1.3MB).

It comprises many HTML files and associated GIFs. However, it is a sort of
"picture" language in its own right, and not a set of approximately
standardized (or at least widely used) icon-type images.

--
Paul Bartlett