On 2016-10-31, Leo Moser wrote:

> Some of you may be interested in Coena--a language in process with
> inspiration from LsF, ancient Greek, and Sanskrit.
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/coenalang/home
>
> It is the work of Adnan Majid. I presume it is more of an artlang than
> an auxlang.
>
> Id be interested in hearing auxlanger comments.

I have had an opportunity to look at some of the voluminous material on
the website. I would agree that it is more of a conlang / artlang than
an auxlang with any serious likelihood of success.

The somewhat idiosyncratic (eccentric) orthography would definitely work
against it as an auxlang. Acute accents over some consonant letters? In
at least a few cases the sound values are the same as some of those of
the supersigned letters of Esperanto, but at least E-o does have some
support in the real world. Yes, also, there are character sets having
vowel letters with macrons, but again, these are much more specialized
than would be practical in an IAL. The undotted 'i' wuld be congenial to
Turks but probably to few others. And so on. So on the ground of
orthography alone I would say that Coena has little hope as an IAL.

The grammar seems to me to be a bit complex for an IAL. The author seems
to think that the lack of inflections in Peano's LsF is not wholly
satisfactory, but after all, LsF is Latino *SINE* Flexione. That was the
very point Peano was making, and I have not found the lack of
inflections to be a hindrance in the LsF texts I have read.

As for vocabulary, I can understand why some people might not go with
the LsF principle of a vocabulary derived almost wholly from Latin. But
was not Hogben's Interglossa vocabulary derived mostly from Greek? And
how many potential users in the west would really understand words
derived from Sanskrit?

Vocabulary, of course, tends to be something of the bugaboo of conIALs.
Given that young children can learn most any language in an immersion
environment, the reality is that most learners and users at first of a
conIAL will be adults. In that case, I have long considered that the
idea of "fairness" in constructing a vocabulary from bits and pieces of
this and that language family is a vain dream. I myself see little value
in conglomerated mishmashes of this and that. No matter what the
source(s) is/are, sooner or later somebody, somewhere, somehow is just
going to have to expend some effort to learn something. Sad but true.

Coena may be interesting as a conlang, but on a first glance, at least,
I see little hope for it as an auxlang.

Paul Bartlett