Thank you  Ray,

As was my TAKE - but it applied the 'sine flexione' idea
> just to Classical Greek:
> http://www.carolandray.plus.com/TAKE/index.html

When Coena was in its infancy six or seven years ago, it was amazing to see
your work on TAKE - quite an inspiration. I think certain aspects of the
Greek parts of Coena definitely were influenced by TAKE. I would love to
hear your thoughts on the Greek aspects of Coena - especially with regards
to deriving Greek verbs (which I'm weakest on).

and can have a complicated grammar (for which it may
>> make a poor auxlang).
>>

> Is it intended as an auxlang?  TAKE certainly isn't, as my
> introductory page makes clear.

Certainly not, though if Coena has any "auxiliary" function, it's to help
me learn more Latin, Greek, and Sanskrit!

From the home page:
> "Will Coena expand to include the remaining two languages of
> Sapir's pentad? I'm not sure, but Coena is a work in
> progress  ... On the other hand, I have far more command
> over classical Arabic than I have over Latin, Greek, or
> Sanskrit, and though introducing a non-Indo-European
> language into the mix is a distinct challenge, it may not be
> impossible."
>
> A challenge, but certainly not impossible IMO.  Is not
> modern Farsi an IE language, derived from Old Persian, with
> a heavy admixture of Arabic?

Very true - exciting to just start chewing on the idea. Baby steps.

Yes, the vowels given on the alphabet and Phonology page
> seem to imply different qualities for short and long vowels,
> except for /a/; but this is not made clear.  Also in the
> texts we find a few macrons on vowels, but there appears to
> be no explanation why.

> Also surely the phonology should say something about word
> accent.  Is it stress as in Classical Latin, or pitch accent
> of Sanskrit and Classical Greek (or stress accent of
> Byzantine Greek)?   And how is it determined?
>
> Ray.

I personally don't place so much emphasis on the pronunciation of Coena. As
I mentioned to Jeffery, if the language is ever spoken, I'll leave the
pronunciation to whoever speak it. Until that time, as my personal *artlang*,
the sound of the language will evolve based on my own quirky preferences
(such as how I've come to pronounce words like "dıe" with a voiced
alveolo-palatal fricative). But if anyone would like to differ, that's fine
by me. I for one always pronounce *c*s and *g*s as hard, but if anyone
would like to soften those consonants when followed by an *ı* or *e*, I
don't mind.

With regards to the variation in the vowels, for me it may depend on the
word. I'm not sure if there's any set rule yet.* Coena* obliterates the
original vowel lengths, stress, or pitch of the original language once a
word is derived. With what's left of the word, I generally place the stress
on the penultimate syllable.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

- Adnan