On 13 November 2016 at 23:34, J S Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've been working on a VSO, Head-Modifier sketch Nov06A. The genitive
> construction for 3rd person possessors turns out to be
> GEN  Possessor  Possessum
> However, if the possessor isn't 3rd person, the genitive marker GEN is
> conjugated like a verb (with no possessor phrase). Has anyone seen a
> natlang that works exactly the same way?

Well... the English GEN does not precede the possessor, but it is
conjugated like a nonfinite verb in that it is uninflected, it shares the
same default clitic form as auxiliary verbs, and IMO is a nonfinite
auxiliary verb (and noun), the possessor being the subject (so _Sophy's
five quid_, 'the five quid of Sophy' and %_Sophy's five quid_ 'Sophy has
five quid' share not only the same phonological form but also almost the
same syntax). English is SVO, so you'd expect possessor (S) to precede GEN
(V), but if Nov06A is like English but is VSO, then you'd expect GEN (V)
Possessor (S) Possessum (O) order.

--And.